Fisher Firesure with Bakelite Grips
OAL: 2" - Marked, Fisher Firesure. Nickel plated brass with Bakelight grips. Marked "PAT.1704164, JMF Co." on side under barrel Listed in "The Tiniest Guns" by Bob Urso Vol. 3 on page 77 as U2. The original Bakelight, as is natural over time, has shrunk from the grip's edge. This Bakelight's grip has been reinforced on it's left side but the other is it's original form, The barrel is near perfect, especially for it's long life span.
John Melatiah Fisher and Charles R Harris formed The J. M. Fisher Company, one of the oldest established jewelry firms in Attleboro, Bristol County, MA, in 1879. It was originally known as the jewelry firm of Harris and Fisher.
This is a fine example of the 2 inch Fisher Firesure 2mm pinfire gun that was produced by John Melatiah Fisher’s (B.1850-D.1920), J.M. Fisher Co., using nickel-plated brass. The Fisher Firesure guns are miniature 'Mock' revolvers that are strikingly similar to the Dosick 'Mock' revolvers. Both guns were patented within 3 months of each other in 1929, and both manufactures were out of Rhode Island. These pinfires were produced throughout the 1930's with the earliest Firesure's having no stamp at all, and being the most rare, and hardly ever seen. The guns J.M. Fisher Co. produced in 1930 carried rare “PAT. PEND. J.M.F. CO.” stamps, and the later guns were stamped with “PAT. 1794364 JMF CO.”, on the left side of the gun, just under the non-functional cylinder. I have seen these guns with grips made from Mother of Pearl, black, brown, or tan Bakelite, and many colored plastics.
John Melatiah Fisher and Charles R Harris formed The J. M. Fisher Company, one of the oldest established jewelry firms in Attleboro, Bristol County, MA, in 1879. The J.M. Fisher Co. was originally known as The Jewelry Firm of Harris and Fisher. They began business in the first brick factory on Railroad Street, the old "Bailey Carriage Shop", in Attleboro, Bristol County, MA. The business grew to include part of the middle floor of that building. When the first brick building on Union Street was constructed in 1880 the company moved there. This was the Robinson Building. When, in 1885 Charles Harris retired, the firm became known as the JM Fisher Company.
Born October 23 1850, John Melatiah Fisher was the youngest son of Samuel E. and Cordelia D. Fisher, and lived at the family homestead in Fisherville, MA, which is on the line between Attleboro and North Attleboro, MA. John Melatiah Fisher and Hannah Slade Horton had a daughter named Gertrude Horton Fisher, who, in 1913, married Lewis Shepherd Chilson in Attleboro, Bristol Co., MA. Lewis Shepherd Chilson was the inventor of this miniature watch fob pistol in the late 1920's, which he sold the rights of to his father-in-law, and so the Fisher Firesure pistol was born.
Click on the photo to the right for a larger view.